Writing Assignment Number 3 with Research
Length: Roughly 1200 to 1400 words. (5/6 pages)
Please follow MLA format. This is of utmost importance. Follow each and every rule listed. This is not optional. Read everything in this assignment and be sure you have followed the directions and tips listed before you submit your paper.
Due Dates: Do NOT blow these due dates! You have been given plenty of time.
And the research paper
Your research paper will be five or six pages (1200 to 1400 words) written about one of the options below. Your research paper will require you to use Modern Language Association (MLA) documentation format to incorporate research and source materials (criticism, analysis, quotes form the text) into your writing to support your ideas.
You will use parenthetical references throughout the paper to indicate citations which will be listed on a works cited page. Failure to include both in-text citations AND a corresponding Works Cited page will result in a zero for the assignment and force your failure for the course.
· You must use at least five sources which offer commentary on your topic, plus quotes from the text. You will have a minimum of six sources listed in your Works Cited page, as the text itself will also be included.
· All of your sources must come from serious, reputable, academic sources; the best way to ensure this is to utilize sources that you find in the databases on the Valencia library website and the literary criticism books in the library itself. (See Library Research Handout) You do NOT want to cite general online sources like Wikipedia, Book Rags, Enotes, Gradesaver, Suite 101, blogs and the like.
· Your paper must show appropriate integration of quotes (see quote integration handouts).
Please choose one of the following on which to base your paper:
As usual, if you have an idea other than the prompts that interests you, please email your thoughts to me so I can approve them. Your idea must be related to the stories we have read for Weeks 7, 8 or 9.
Please choose one of the following on which to base your paper:
What is the motive for murder in “The Cask of Amontillado”? Be specific. Do not say it was the “insult.” Tell me what the “insult” is specifically. Did Fortunato steal from Montresor? Did he cut him in the lunch line? What did he do? Remember, whatever Fortunato did do happened before the story begins. Play a little game of CSI.
General Guidelines for MLA format:
· Double-space the text of your paper, and use a legible font (e.g. Times New Roman). Whatever font you choose, MLA recommends that the regular and italics type styles contrast enough that they are recognizable one from another. The font size should be 12 pt.
· Leave only one space after periods or other punctuation marks.
· Set the margins of your document to 1 inch on all sides.
· Indent the first line of paragraphs one half-inch from the left margin. MLA recommends that you use the Tab key as opposed to pushing the Space Bar five times.
· Create a header that numbers all pages consecutively in the upper right-hand corner, one-half inch from the top and flush with the right margin.
· Use italics throughout your essay for the titles of longer works and, only when absolutely necessary, providing emphasis.
Formatting the First Page of Your Paper:
· Do not make a title page for your paper.
· In the upper left-hand corner of the first page, list your name, your instructor’s name, the course, and the date. Again, be sure to use double-spaced text.
· Double space again and center the title. Do not bold, underline, italicize, or place your title in quotation marks; write the title in Title Case (standard capitalization), not in all capital letters.
· Use quotation marks and/or italics when referring to other works in your title, just as you would in your text: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as Morality Play; Human Weariness in “After Apple Picking”
· Double space between the title and the first line of the text.
· Create a header in the upper right-hand corner that includes your last name, followed by a space with a page number; number all pages consecutively with Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.), one-half inch from the top and flush with the right margin. (Note: Your instructor or other readers may ask that you omit last name/page number header on your first page. Always follow instructor guidelines.)
· Do not use contractions (don’t, can’t, shouldn’t)
· Stay away from the pronoun I as much as possible. Discuss the characters, not yourself, your feelings or your thoughts. Your thoughts and feelings should shine through in your discussion of the topic.
· Do not make me part of your discussion by using the pronoun you. Avoid sentences like “You can see how much Sammy wants out.” Do not assume anything about the reader. Use the words the reader.
· Do not make unsubstantiated assumptions about anything. Do not start your paper out by saying something like “Life in 1960s was boring.”
· Everything you write in your paper should in some way be substantiating your thesis. Everything.
Writing to Persuade: Annotated Bibliography Assignment (Upload Only)In order to complete your Research Paper, you will need to do research. One of the more useful tools in conducting research is the annotated bibliography. An annotated bibliography combines the citations found in the Works Cited at the end of documents in MLA format with annotations about each of the sources. For this assignment, you will construct an annotated bibliography based upon the story that you have chosen to research.
Length: 4 or 5 pages
Purpose: An annotated bibliography is an organizing tool that is helpful when working on a research project. An effective annotated bibliography is used to compile research sources in one location and provide the researcher with quick access to the information contained in each source.
Content/Subject: Your annotated bibliography will consist of the sources that you have deemed relevant to your thesis. While you may encounter sources that are not relevant or do not fit the scope of your project while researching, for the purposes of this assignment, you will only include the ones that you find useful and relevant.
Cite the source in proper MLA format. The citations should be organized in alphabetical order by author just as in an MLA Works Cited page.
Follow with a brief annotation that summarizes the source (approx. 8-10 sentences). You may include very small quotes from the source, but do not copy and paste the abstract. Ideally, all of the annotation should be in your own words.
In 1 or 2 sentences, explain the source’s relevance and importance to proving your thesis.
Constraints: The annotated bibliography is a fairly rigid genre. Your citations must adhere to MLA format. This will be one of the central components of the grade for this assignment. Failure to follow MLA format exactly will harm your grade.
The annotations for each source should follow an academic style. This means that you must construct, with elevated and sophisticated language, correct grammatical sentences that effectively summarize what each source has to say. Additionally, you should explain how each source is relevant to the thesis that you have selected.
Specific guidelines to follow when completing this assignment are:
· 5 academic sources
· Sources focused around a narrowed issue or question of inquiry
· Adherence to MLA format for all citations
· Sources in alphabetical order according to author
· Thoughtful and complete annotations of 150 to 200 words for each entry
· Correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling
The post Writing Assignment Number 3 with Research appeared first on Lion Essays.
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!”
Writing Assignment Number 3 with Research was first posted on April 22, 2019 at 7:24 pm.©2019 “Lion Essays”. Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at support@Lion Essays.com